Beware asking for “Mathi’ in Mandi Himachal Pradesh.
Himachal Pradesh is widely known as Devbhoomi because of the abundance of temples and many mesmerising places. Surely it’s an abode of Gods. Every year many travellers and tourists come to Himachal Pradesh to find peace and cherish its mesmerising beauty. So we thought why not make them aware about the slang people use in Himachal.
So presenting you the top slang used by the people of Himachal Pradesh with their meanings.
- Ter: Well, yes, in Himachal, we don’t get high or drunk, we get ter. When you hear someone telling other that ” Baba ter ho gayi” then you can figure out now that he is either outrageously drunk or stoned 😉
- Khaaj: Long gone the days when you hear some lotion advertisement about itching or something of that sort. Khaaj means itch and when someone asks you” Badi khaaj hai tere?” he is not concerned about your health but is asking if you have a problem with something presently. In case you have not yet figured, the answer is NO! if you don’t want to get into any sort of trouble.
- Bandi/Gicchi/Laddi: We are anti girlfriend people. So we dont have girlfriends. We have either Bandi or Gicchi or in some cases Laddi (wife)
- The “bey” language : we have a codeword amid us. Just start with b and reverse the word. Actively used in Shimla, Belma is code word for … you know what 😉
- Badka/Chachu : Now Badka and chachu are two words having different meanings but we are good people, we call every other people badka (in hamirpur) or Chachu (Solan).
- Thas re : Because if you dont stay calm we will make you go so 😉 Thas re means stay calm and dont panic or go over excited 😀
- Matthi : Matthi is an eatable with tea but beware if you ask for it in Mandi. Mandi has a totally different defination of Mathi
- Ghussy : We dont bluff, we dont appreciate ghussy. Ghussy is Himachal’s local slang for bluff.
Did we miss any slang? We know we missed a lot of them, comment below which we missed and we will make a sequel of this post 🙂
For more such posts, you can join us on our facebook
Want to share your story with the world? Want to volunteer from your area? Don’t worry, you can always contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or drop a WhatsApp message on 9882837038.