Virbhadra Singh: The longest serving Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh
virbhadra Singh : Himachal Pradesh, a small and beautiful state in the lap of Himalayas. Ever since it’s formation, this state has been always progressive. The progress of Himachal Pradesh, like any other state in Himachal, is overseen by the Chief Minister himself. So today, we are presenting the person who has served the Himachal Chief minister office for the longest time and record number of terms.
Incumbent and 6 time CM of Himachal Pradesh – Virbhadra Singh. Here are few facts that you probably did not know.
- Born on 23 June 1934, at Sarahan, Shimla. He comes from the royal family of Busher which is believed ( traditionally) to be found by son of Lord Krishna -Pradhuman. His father was Raja Padam Singh.
- He studied from Colonel Brown Cambridge School Dehra Dun and Bishop Cotton School (Shimla) and later obtained a BA Honours degree from St. Stephen’s College, Delhi.
- Virbhadra Singh married (28th May 1954) Rajkumari Rattan Kumari and have 4 daughters with her. She died on September 27,1983. Later he married (on 28th November 1985) Rani Pratibha Kumari, they have one son and a daughter.
- In 1962, at an age of 28, he was elected for the third Lok Sabha. He recounted in an interview that first PM of India, Pt. Nehru asked Sh. Virbhadra Singh to contest.
- After 1962, he was elected to 4th,5th,7th and 15th Lok Sabha. Making it 5 times. He was deputy minister Tourism and Civil aviation (1976-77), minister of state industries (1982-83),Union cabinet Minister Steel (2009-2011) and union cabinet minister (MSME) (2011).
- He is serving CM of Himachal Pradesh for 6th time. Earlier making it in year 1983-90,1993-98,2003. On 25th Dec 2012, Virbhadra singh took oath to CM for a record 6th time.
- Apart from Politics he is associated with number of cultural and social organizations like Indo-Soviet Friendship Society, Friends of Soviet Union; President, Sanskrit Sahitya Sammelan, Himachal Pradesh
- Virbhadra Singh is also an Honorary Captain in the Indian Army.
- Mr Singh was a member of Indian delegation in the General Assembly of the United Nation in 1976.
- He has bagged many awards for himself ans state but biggest of them all are Silver Elephant for Contribution in Scouts and Guides Movement; and Golden Peacock Environment Leadership Award by London based institute of Directors For Contribution in Promotion of Environment, Wild Life, Environment Governance, Eco-Tourism, and Banning of plastic bags in State.
Now as the elections are near, we thought all our youth must know their leader well. So is their pay point we missed? What was the best decision taken by Virbhadra according to you? Let us know by your comments.
Want to share your story with the world? Want to volunteer from your area? Don’t worry, you can always contact us on email@example.com or drop a WhatsApp message on 9882837038.